Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mystery substance in my glaze

I went to use some of my new glazes over the week end and found some strange crystals in one of them.  It was not there last time. I mixed and sieved and mixed and sieved and could not get them to dissolve. I don't know if I should strain them out and pretend they weren't there or try heating them to dissolve them back into the glaze.  All I know for sure is, I can't leave them in the glaze because it would clog up my spray gun.  Here is what I found.  Let me know if you have any suggestions.



On the positive side I was able to almost duplicate my results from before.  I used Crocus Martis on the inside of the cup, then sprayed Strontium Crystal Magic, a light spray of Jen's Juicy Fruit, then Hanna's Blue Ash.    I should have left the SCM off the top lip so it would have a smoother feel with the Crocus Martis and a little more on the red side than brown.  My camera phone did not pick up the red very well on the inside of the cup.





1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what those crystals are, I have mxied plenty of glazes and gotten them to settle into a semi hard mass but never crystals. That being said I have always stored my glazes above freezing and mixed them with an electric drill mixer and sieved each time. I think that red is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete