Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Potting again

It has been several months since I've written anything.  I think I have earned the worst blogger award.  I Haven't been doing much pottery either.  Life gets complicated.  I think there is a line in a song "Life is what happens while you are busy planning other things".

Getting back to pottery again, I started by testing some new glazes.  I wanted to try several new glazes, and and was determined to find a good dependable red glaze.  I seemed to be lacking at least one ingredient in everything I wanted to try so I cheated.  I ordered several one pound batches from Glazemixer.com.  I new what goes into all the recipes so I can tweak if need be.  I ordered:
Pete's Tomato Red #13
Crocus Martis Red
Ohata,
Hannah's fake ash
Hannah's blue
Water color green
Strontium crystal magic
white satin mat
Jen's Juicy fruit

 I also mixed up at home Nutmeg and C. Harris Temoku, and Variegated slate blue. Yes that is a lot of new glazes, but I felt I needed to start all over again.  Here are my test tiles:


In order, Tomato red, Tomato Red, Crocus Martis, Crocus Martis, Ohata, Ohata, Nutmeg, C. Harris Temoku fired once, CHT refired to bisque.

Tomato Red I'm not keeping, I really like Crocus Martis  it did have some pin holes but I should be able to fix that.  I also like how it looks on both colors of clay. I like the Ohata on the darker stoneware but not the light,  The Nutmeg seems to be very reliable.  The C. Harris Temoku would take more time to get to where I like than the time I am willing to put into it.  I think Crocus Martis Red will be the winner.  The down side of this glaze is obtaining the Crocus Martis.  I have 3 suppliers withing 20 miles (Axner, Bennetts, and Florida Clay Art) and none of them stock it. I will have to look for an online sources.

Crocus Martis












Ohata












Jen's Juicy Fruit










Hannah's Fake Ash










Hannah's Blue
Water Color Green












I was too anxious to wait on the test results so I just went for it and tried them on a couple of pieces.  It was also about the 4th time I have ever tried to spray the glazes instead of the dip and drip method. Spraying takes longer but it is a lot more fun. Here is the results that I am very pleased with.





I went a little overboard with the number of glazes on each pot.  Both pieces have a combination of, Nutmeg, Strontium crystal magic, Jen's juicy fruit, slate blue, water color green, Hannah's fake ash, and Hannah's blue.    I hope I can duplicate the results again.

2 comments:

  1. Paula those glazes fit like a glove, beautiful results. I like them all but the Ohata Kaki, Crocus Martis and the Strontium Crystal Magic are my favorites. Is that the Crystal magic showing blue green on the pitcher at the end? wonderful; I never heard of glazemixer.com, I may submit some recipes and have them mix them for me; so glad I stopped by here and glad you are blogging again and have some time for pottery. what cone are you firing these to, oxidation or reduction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, I was pleasantly surprised by my first attempts with these glazes. If I remember right, I sprayed SCM over the outside of the entire pitcher then layered water color green, and Hannah's blue, and Hannah's fake ash at the very top. I fire in oxidation to about cone 6.5 to 7.

    ReplyDelete