Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Studio tour

In the spirit of all the pottery blogging studio tours, I thought I would join in.   My studio space is not nearly as spacious and inviting of some that I have scene, but it serves its purpose for now.  My garage is definitely better than when I had my wheel in the laundry room, and before that in the bathroom.  We have a three car garage and I share a portion of the single bay with my three kids.  Last summer we put in a wall partition and insulated the ceiling so this summer I can put in a window air conditioner and not get quite as sweaty and be able to keep the garage door closed to keep out our ferocious mosquitoes.   One day soon  (I hope)  we will put the dry wall up so I don't have bits of insulation falling on me.  I only partially cleaned up for my photos.
Looking in from my garage door.  


Since my hot water heater is next to my utility sink it was very easy to tap in and get warm water.  I have the sink drain to its own drain field outside my garage.


My mascots Max and Lucy.

Max is usually laying in the center of the room so I trip over him where ever I go.  If I am not in the studio, the dogs will sneak in and eat my clay scraps.  I have yet to figure out why they want to eat clay.  I separated a set of shelving to make a door way to help keep the kids bikes, and sports equipment out of my space.
I have my kiln on wheels so I can roll it out of the way when not in use.  I want to get a bigger kiln so I can make larger pieces, but haven't quite figured out where I would put it.  The inside dimensions of my kiln is 16" x18".  If I got a larger one, I would want to have it on the opposite wall so it would be easy to vent to the outside.  Now, I just open the garage door and roll my kiln near the opening to vent.






If I bought a larger kiln, the bikes, skate board, unicycle and such would be on the other side and forever be in the way.  I will probably wait until my teenagers are gone to take over the rest of the garage.   Then I can also spend more time potting and less time driving them all over town.

4 comments:

  1. Hey I like your space and your mascots are so cute, bet there is some mineral in the clay they like, not sure it is good for them though, my cats try to drink my clay water, but with mason stains in it (or the clay not sure which), it wasn't good for them so I have to keep it covered. One of my cats was having seizures from drinking that water so I am very careful now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, I hope your cat is ok now. My dogs know they are not supposed to get into my clay. If they see me when they are eating the clay they sulk out of the studio hanging their head without me even saying a word. I need to try and be neater I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Paula Henderson. I am a hobby potter, living in the Netherlands.
    Looking for a new red glaze I 'googled' your Blog. I do know that I refer to a what older blog (March 2011) but...
    I am curieus, if you are able and kind, to send me the recepy of the glaze of the second picture (crocus martis). the second one from the right. Kind regards from the Netherlands from Gerard. My mail adres is g.a.molenaar@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I haven't looked at my blog in years. Guess its time to start potting again.

    ReplyDelete